Saturday, April 16, 2022

 

The Weekend Roundup "O"
Owls and Old
(click on photo for bigger and best view)
Snowy OWLS have been everywhere this year. Here are a few of my photos I took this winter. This one was at Hampton Beach State Park, Hampton, New Hampshire.
These two were taken at Salisbury Beach State Reservation, in Salisbury, MA. It is only a few miles from the photo in Hampton, NH. The owl was in the dunes right next to the parking lot. 
This last owl photo is a bit blurry. The owl landed in that bush right in front of my car! He didn't stay there long, but long enough for me to pick up my camera and get this shot. I think he was too heavy for the little branches on the bush. This was taken at the wildlife refuge on Plum Island in Newburyport, MA

 I did not have to get out of my car, to take any of the owl photos. Even though the owl was pretty close, I still used a zoom lens to capture these pictures.
OLD
My Mom on the left with her best friend Muriel. They lived next to each other growing up in Fall River, MA until they each got married. Went to school together from 1st grade and graduated high school together. They both got their first jobs at the same place. They were telephone operators. This was their junior high school graduation picture.
This photo is at my Mom's wedding, she was married first. Muriel is her Maid of Honor and is behind her.
Here they are at Muriel's wedding, my Mom is her Matron of Honor, she is holding her train.
Lat two photos - above Mom, with Muriel and 3 of her kids
And, this last candid shot, at my Mom's 50th wedding anniversary in 1998. My Mom on the left. They truly were BFF's. Muriel passed first in 1999 from a heart attack, she died in her sleep.  My Mom suffered a broken heart for a very long time. She used to tell us she was never the same again. My mom passed in 2013. She was 88 and suffered so bad for years, from Rheumatoid Arthritis. She also, passed in her sleep.

 Muriel settled in Middletown, Rhode Island and had 6 kids.  My parents in Gales Ferry, CT and two children. Just about 60 miles apart. We visited as families, all the time. I'm still in touch with her children. 

3 comments:

  1. Impressive shots of the owl! What a wonderful story of friendship. I have a couple of friends I have known forever, but sadly we no long live near each other. Although we do keep in touch by phone and see each other when we can. Love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...Dawn, I can't remember the last time that I saw an OWL. It's wonderful that your Mother had such a dear friend OVER all OF those years. Take care and enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so wonderful to be able to see a Snowy Owl and your shots are great. Now I loved the story about your Mum and Muriel. How wonderful to have a very good friend for all of your lifetime Dawn.

    ReplyDelete