Below is a post I originally had on my blog in March of this year...I thought it would be nice to share this again today, on Veteran's Day. My Dad will be 89 in just a few weeks and 70 years ago next week his boat was hit in WWII.
Hope you will all enjoy this story!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A very special WWII Reunion
When I heard that Alamo Scout Jack, was going to be at this reunion, I just knew I had to take my Dad there. So, a few months ago, my husband and I took him to Florida to the Alamo Scouts Reunion and what a reunion it was! My Dad, a WWII veteran (PT boat 495) and Alamo Scout Jack were able to meet each other for the first time in almost 69 years! Over the years, they've had some phone contact with each other but had not seen each other since the night my Dad's boat was hit on November 19, 1944. Jack and other Alamo Scouts helped to save my Dad's life that night. The Scouts just happened to be aboard that night, they were not scheduled to be on the boat. One sailor died, and several others were badly injured...they did not think my Dad would live. This year my Dad will turn 89 and Jack is a few years older.
Their reunion was amazing, this was definitely one of the best days of my fathers life, and I'm sure it was for Jack, too! I'm so glad I was a part of this wonderful time! Four pictures below ~ my Dad (in the blue and white shirt) and Jack seeing each other for the first time, sharing their story at the reunion and looking at Lance Zedric's new book, Silent No More, my Dad had Jack sign his book.
You can read more about this Special Forces group here, they were an elite group of men.



How wonderful! I remember when my grandfather had a reunion with his squad from the Korean War almost 40 years after they had last seen each other. Perspective.
ReplyDeleteIowa Voice
Wow! Your story gives me goosebumps! How wonderful to have these photos of the reunion -- so moving.
ReplyDeleteWhat a touching event. :)
ReplyDelete