A vacation to Kentucky for our
"Cousins Reunion"
As many of you know, most of my blogs are much shorter than this one, I just had so much to share this time, it took a while to write and put this one together...hope you enjoy my story and all the pictures!
Much of my husband's family is from Kentucky. His Dad grew up in a small town called, Rhodelia. It's located "sort of" in the northwest part of the state, close to the Ohio River. Rhodelia is about one hour southwest of Louisville. I fell in love with Kentucky and Rhodelia the first time I visited there...I could live here The picture is a view of the Ohio River from my cousins home.
It was my third trip to Kentucky, heading to the reunion several months ago. I was so excited to meet so many people in my husbands family that I'd never met. Rick's Dad was one of 11 children that grew up on the farm, so needless to say he had "many" first cousins...somewhere between 40 and 50.
I (we) had the time of our life, the reunion was awesome. It was the first one in years, tens of years. There were around 150 that showed up! I was able to take so many pictures, and then I received so many more from family members (including some very old photos) that I, with the help of my son, was able to put together a fifteen minute DVD that included over a hundred photos! It turned out so awesome that we gave a copy to every first cousin that attended! I had four chapters in the DVD, played to fours songs. In my Life, by the Beatles ~ Grandpa (Tell Me 'bout the Good O' Days) by the Judds ~ Going to the Chapel by the Dixie Cups ~ and the last chapter was to the song Somewhere Over the Rainbow/What a Beautiful World by Israel Kamakawiwo'Ole. If you've never heard his version, please take a few minutes to listen as you look through some of my photos. It's beautiful :)
the farm my husband's father grew up on is still family owned
the farm as it looks today
My husband's father (far left) with his siblings and parents
above ~ the siblings at an older age
and more old family photos below
"Cousins" above, and below is my husband riding "Old Bird" at the farm with his older brother
"Cousins" above, and below is my husband riding "Old Bird" at the farm with his older brother
Below ~ setting up for the reunion...everyone that came brought family photos to share
the reunion was held in the church hall ~ the small building to the right of the flag and light pole
Cousin Johnny took us on a hayride to the cemetery and his farm
Until we meet again...
♥
Our memories, all on DVD!
I love my husband's family and all the new friends I made that day...I can't wait to go back :)




Oh your husband's family is pretty much big, I really love big families with so many cousins. I belong to a little family and we're 11 cousins in total! Lovely photographs :)
ReplyDelete